The Ministry of Information and Communications has launched a campaign to vote for Ha Long Bay by text message.
To vote for the bay, you type Halong and send to 147. The charge is VND630.
The poll is now in the final stage, with 28 finalists.
New7Wonders of Nature is an initiative started in 2007 to create a list of seven natural wonders chosen by people through a global poll. It is being led by Canadian-Swiss Bernard Weber and organized by the New7Wonders Foundation, a Swiss-based, government-controlled foundation.
From over 440 participants representing over 220 countries and through a national qualification and race to become one of the Top 77, as well as the recommendations of the Panel of Experts led by Prof. Federico Mayor, the list of 28 "Official Finalist Candidates" has been determined. Voting is underway and will continue until November 2011.
On September 27, Bernard Weber, Chairman of NewOpenWorld presented the certificate of Ha Long Bay as the finalist of the poll.
The seven new wonders of the nature will be announced on November 11.
The 28 finalists:
1. Amazon Rainforest of Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, French Guiana, Guyana, Peru, Suriname, Venezuela
2. Angel Falls of Venezuela
3. Bay of Fundy of Canada
4. Black Forest of Germany
5. Bu Tinah Shoals of the United Arab Emirates
6. Cliffs of Moher Ireland
7. Dead Sea of Israel, Jordan and Palestinian Authority
8. El Yunque of the United States and Puerto Rico
9. Galapagos Islands of Ecuador
10. Grand Canyon of the United States
11. Great Barrier Reef of Australia
12. Halong Bay of Vietnam
13. Iguazu Falls of Argentina and Brazil
14. Jeita Grotto of Lebanon
15. Jeju Island of South Korea
16. Kilimanjaro of Tanzania
17. Komodo National Park of Indonesia
18. Maldives of Maldives
19. Masurian Lake District of Poland
20. Matterhorn/Cervino of Italy and Switzerland
21. Milford Sound of New Zealand
22. Mud Volcanoes of Azerbaijan
23. Puerto Princesa Underground River of the Philippines
24. Sundarbans of Bangladesh and India
25. Table Mountain of South Africa
26. Uluru of Australia
27. Vesuvius of Italy
28. Yushan of Taiwan